Rara Lake Trek
Rara Lake trek is one of the best destinations for trekking in western Nepal. This is the largest (167 meters deep) lake in Nepal and a main focal point for a trekkers in western Nepal. It is situated at an altitude of (2987m) above Karnali valley which is home of endangered red panda, common Langur, and rhesus macaque. Rhododendron, juniper, oak, spruce and Cyprus are the rich vegetations of this area.
The trek begins from mountain airstrip of Jumla after flying from Kathmandu via Nepalgunj and the trail passes through countryside which provides glimpses of culture and scenery quite different from that found elsewhere in Nepal eventually leads to Rara National Park. The entire route is 'off the beaten track' which involves crossing of Gurchi Mara pass at [3710m] on the way to Rara Lake and few ridges at around (3000m) on the way back. This route comprises lots of up and down walking through forests and isolated villages leads to a high altitude lake surrounded by woods. This trek gives you an absolutely wilderness experience.
- Rim of the Kathmandu valley excursion
- Snow capped Himalayan peak
- Visiting to the most wandering place
- Explore Rara National Park
- Unique traditional village
- Mixed culture with typical western Nepalese and Tibetans
- Buddhist Monasteries
- Different community with majority of Gurung. Magar, Chhetri, Brahamn
- Friendly people and many more ......
- Great Himalayan Landscaps
- Abundant wildlife and impressive display of wild flower
|Trip Grade||Moderate to strenuous trail|
|Trip Duration||14 Nights/15 Days|
|Trip Start/Ends||Kathmandu, Nepalgunj/Nepalgunj, Kathmandu|
|Maximum Altitude||Gorosingha (3190m)|
|Trip Cost||USD 3185 per passenger|
|Group Size||Minimum 2 upto 16 passengers|
|Accessibillity||Kathmandu fly Nepagunj and Jumla from Kathmandu|
|The Route||Maximum altitude upto Gorosingha (3190m), 5/7-hrs average walking per day, Moderate to Strenuous trail.|
|Season||Sept – Nov/March - April|
|Permit Fee||Per week per person US$ 10 or equivalent convertible foreign currency.|
|Trip Valid||This offer is valid on reservations made from September through December 31, 2018.|
|Trip Facilities||Tourist standard hotel in city and camping required on mountain.|
Arrive in Kathmandu: Upon arrival at Tribhuwan international airport, welcomed by our representative and transfer to hotel. The remainder of the afternoon is at leisure. A pre-trek briefing will be given in the evening at hotel about the daily program activities by your Group Leader/Guide.
After breakfast the day will start with a guided tour of Kathmandu's historical and spiritual key attractions; including the historic Kathmndu Durbar Square, the famous 'Monkey Temple' (Swayambunath) and then finally visit to Patan Durbar square which is situated the heart of the city constitutes the focus of visitor's attraction. In the evening there will be pre-trip discussion where you can meet your group leader/guide then you can ask any questions you may have.
As per the flight schedule for Nepalgunj we transfer to the domestic airport for one and half hour scenic flight to Nepalgung. At Nepalgunj we will have time in the late afternoon or evening to have a look around the town which is situated on the southern Nepal border with India. Here it is quite hot and tropical in character.
This morning we fly from Nepalgunj to Jumla. We will meet our trekking crew and make the final preparations and leaving Jumla, following the main street of Jumla, passing the red-roofed hospital, the wide level trail leads to the college building and passes a collection of western-style houses. After a long climb the trail passes through Sisnamul (2830m) entering a forest of big trees to Chere (3010m) which is a large horse and sheep pasture. From Chere the trail becomes steeper and climbs through meadows to Danphe Lagna offering the views of Patrasi Himal (6860m) and Jagdula Himal (5785m). The trail descends gently through a forest of spruces, birches and rhododendron and reaches Danphe Lagna.
Descending steeply through the forest of firs, birches, walnuts and bamboo the trail comes to Hiran Duski (2840m) and then Sinja Khola. Crossing the bridge the trail follows to Nyawre (2660m). From here the trail leaves the river and starts climbing to Kabra. The steep climb proceeds to Bhara (2920m) which is a classical Tibetan village and descends to the village of Chautha.
The trail follows the uphill way crossing some fields at Chante Chaur (2940m) and climbs to Bhulbule, the Rara National park entrance station (3130m). From here, we climb gently get to Ghurchi Lagna (3450m). From here you can observe views of Karnali River and the snowy peaks bordering Tibet. Then the trail descends through a spruce forest leading to Pina (2400m). Following the direct trail to Rara Lake through pine forest passing Jhyari Khola at 2400m you reach to the small settlement of Dhotu.
Crossing a stream and making a steep climb to the village through a cedar forest to a huge meadow you can see excellent views of Rara Lake. Descending a short distance you reach Rara Lake.
After having breakfast you can visit all around Rara Lake which is almost 13km. In Rara Lake there found otters and different kinds of fish. This region is full of birds, flowers and wild animals.
From Rara Lake the trail follows the Khatyar Khola to Majhghatta and climbing through the forest of pines, spruce and rhododendron you reach the meadow to a ridge at 3660m. On the ridge is Churchi Mara (3710m) from where you see excellent views of the western Himalaya. From here the trail drops into Ghatta valley then heads towards Gorosingha.
The trail leads down the Ghatta valley and then follows the Sinja Khola. After walking down the fertile valley through a heavily populated region of Brahman and Chhetri villages you can reach Sinja on the bank of Sinja Khola.
The trail crosses the Sinja Khola passing a few small villages through the forest of pines, birches and oaks and then climbs steeply to Jaljala Chaur.
Climbing through the forest and descending to a few houses you will get to Chauri Khola (3090m). From here descending sometime and passing the school at Ghurumati then you come to Jumla.
Early morning, a short scenic flight for thirty five minutes to Nepalgunj, over the Himalayan foothills overlooking stunning views of the main peaks including Annapurna and Dhaulagiri to the north. On arrival at Nepalgunj depending upon the connecting flight schedule to Kathmandu. If it is in the afternoon have time for few hours’ refreshment in the comfort of the Hotel Batika or similar at Nepalgunj. Then connect with the flight back to Kathmandu.
This pleasant day you may have full day at leisure and either relax at hotel or explore the Thamel and overnight at hotel.
After breakfast you will have some free time until the time to leave the international airport for your final departure.
- Documents: Rara national park entrance permit and TIMS card
- Activities: Sightseeing, hiking and trekking trip as per itinerary.
- Equipment: All necessary camping equipments, kitchen utilize etc.
- Accommodation: 4 nights hotel in Kathmandu, 1 night hotels in Nepalgunj on twin sharing bedroom and 10 nights tented on twin or multi shared bedroon during trekking
- Food: Full board on camping (Breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trekking and 5 breakfast in city.
- Staffs: Leader/Guide and supporters and their daily wage, food, and accommodation
- Transportation: All airport arrival/departure transfer and surface road-head transportation.
- Company and Government’s service charge: All applicable Government taxes and official service charges. And Crew’s, daily wages/salary, food, equipment, air and road-head transportation
- Kathmandu to Nepalgunj and Jhupal and return flight to Kathmandu
- Travel/medical insurance coverage personal accidents, medical and emergency Helicopter rescue
- Personal travel and trekking equipments
- Lunch and dinner while in city
- Items of a personal nature such as normal drinks, hot shower, dessert, laundry, internet and phone call.
- Expenses occurred due to unavoidable Events i.e. road wrecks, flight delays etc.
- Tips/Gratuities for your trekking crews
- Temple and Monastery entrance fees
- Optional activities
- And unforeseen expenses which are out of control by Nepal Adventure Point